Senior Technical Writer
10 Joan Drive
Denver, CO 80221 email@example.com
- Twenty-plus years of experience in the software/technical industry
- Consummate professional with commitment to quality
- Highly organized and detail oriented – track all aspects of complex projects
- Work effectively with multiple teams and many different projects simultaneously
- Communicate well with management, peers, and colleagues to complete tasks
- Ability to see the big picture of what needs to be done
- Flexible and adjust well to the rapidly changing world of software and technical development
- Work remotely without supervision and never missed a release deadline
- Initiate ideas on how to improve processes, documentation, and workflow
- Strong ability to learn new software applications and technology without formal classroom training
Core Knowledge & Skill Areas
· Design, create, and maintain documentation of all
aspects of software-based applications.
· Create and track administrative documentation tasks
for lifecycle management.
· Test software for usability.
· Evaluate and test the Graphical User Interface (GUI)
· Create and lead training courses for customer and
· Create copy for marketing teams. Also edit and verify
· Maintain document versioning and document archives.
· Worked with the Agile system of software and
· Content and copy editing, including documents
· Setup and use of virtual machines for testing.
· Knowledge and use of source control software such as
· Extensive experience in creating end-product
· Create and implement templates and style guides for
· Research, gather, and analyze information to create
documents in an easy-to-understand format for the
EMBARCADERO TECHNOLOGIES, INC. Littleton, CO February, 1996 – March 20, 2015
Senior Technical Writer
Employed by Embarcadero for 19 years. Laid off in March, 2015 due the the outsourcing of Embarcadero’s Technical Writing positions to Spain.
· Authored on-line tutorials and quick start guides for InterBase, an embedded database software application, enabling new users to learn the application quickly.
· Worked with Marketing on outward-facing documentation. Created glossaries and descriptions for new applications. Also edited existing marketing documents for accuracy.
· Updated legacy documentation for a large, out-of-date document sets. This included tutorials, user guides, readmes, and new feature guides (approximately 2,200 pages). Also ported these documents from Adobe FrameMaker into Media Docwiki.
· Worked with the localization team in Japan to ensure all new documents, as well as updates, were included in the translation process.
· Worked remotely with teams in the USA, Spain, Romania, Japan, and Russia. Met weekly with all teams through Lync and GoToMeeting.
· Designed and implemented the Docwiki home page for the InterBase application.
· Tracked all tasks and defects in JIRA.
INTEGRATED PETROLEUM TECHNOLOGIES. Denver, CO July, 1992– August, 1995
Technical Writer/Customer Service Support
· Designed and authored a 400-page technical user’s guide for a custom-designed software system used to measure, record, and report field production of petroleum products.
· Provided customer support using remote-support software. Most customers had limited experience using a computer.
· Designed and implemented a customized, hands-on classroom training for new customers.
MOBIL OIL CORPORATION – JOINT INTEREST/LAND-LEASING DEPARTMENTS, Denver, CO September, 1983 – June, 1992
Senior Land Assistant
· Prepared legal documents such as Joint Operating Agreements for Landmen.
· Created “how to” procedures for all departmental responsibilities.
· Maintained the team’s budget, coordinating with team members and balancing this budget with the Land Department’s budget.
· Researched land and leasing information using Mobil’s mainframe search programs. Also performed special research projects for Landmen such as mapping specifics and lease tracking.
· Handled administrative duties (drilling reports, lease tracking, pending file log, etc.) for the Landmen and Land Techs.
· Windows 7 and 8
· Acrobat IX Pro
· Acrobat Distiller XI
· FrameMaker 10 & 11
·Snagit Screen Capture Tool
· JIRA Project Management Tool
· Tortoise SVN (an Apache™ Subversion client)
· Perforce Software (P4)
· Microsoft Office 365
· Microsoft Office – high proficiency in:
Education & Training
Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, IL June 1972
Diploma in Youth Camp Management
Columbia College, Chicago, IL September 1974
Graphic Design, Photography and Darkroom courses
Rockmont College/Colorado Christian College, Denver, CO September 1978
Youth Camp Management courses
American Petroleum Institute, Denver, CO