CFO / VP Finance / Controller
Senior Finance Executive focused on solutions. Demonstrated ability to define specific quantitative goals, create and implement strategies and internal systems, and drive achievement of revenue, profit and cash flow objectives. Able to lead in high-pressure, competitive environments and deliver superior financial results through performance-driven management. Proven expertise with business start-ups and turnarounds. Multi-location management experience with small, mid-cap and Fortune 500 companies.
Cost Management / Risk Management / Cash Flow Optimization / Financial Controls / Strategic Management / Financial Reporting / Forecasting and Analysis / Corporate Finance / Treasury
CFO, Premier Medical Corporation, Denver, CO, 2011 to September, 2013. Direct the finance and IT functions for an $11M privately-owned health products and services company including financial reporting and analysis, strategic planning and analysis and cash flow.
- Collaborated with CEO to improve profitability by 36% and cash flow by $500,000 through expense reductions, improved asset utilization and efficiency improvements.
- Developed financial analysis identifying asset utilization opportunities that provided critical information having wide ranging affects on inventory control and pricing decisions.
- Improved financial reporting and analysis providing insight identifying areas of opportunity to improved financial performance.
- Led the effort to train and mentor senior staff to utilize a data driven approach to better understand how their organizations can positively impact profitability and cash flow.
- Partnered with the CEO to create due diligence information to facilitate the sale and merger of company.
CFO and Controller, Intermountain Resources, LLC, Montrose, CO, 2008 to 2011. Direct the finance and administration functions for privately-owned $15M lumber manufacturing company including financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting, bank relations, board meetings.
- Improved cash flow by $4.0M by negotiating sales contracts with key customers to lock in premium prices with firm payment terms, negotiating extended terms with suppliers and reducing expenses.
- Played a major role in the survival and turn-around of company that was underfunded. My expertise was critical in cost management, cash flow optimization and financial controls in turning it into a profitable business generating positive cash flows.
- Developed financial modeling tool projecting profitability and cash flow that provided management with information to determine which products and processes were more profitable and which to avoid. This provided information to prevent the company from making product that would have been a degradation to the bottom-line.
- Partnered with operations to develop daily performance metrics and met daily to review and take corrective action if needed to optimize financial results.
Director, David King & Associates, Denver, CO, 2004 to 2008. Privately-owned consulting firm. Provided consulting services for accounting, budgeting, forecasting and cash management as well as teaching management and team building techniques.
- Provided client with consulting services to facilitate a significant acquisition. This acquisition allowed client to grow revenues by 26%. Developed a detailed financial model to support decision making process.
- Designed accounting system to automate financial reporting for client. Implemented new controls and processes that supported new system.
VP Finance & Support Services, Advanced Forming Technology, Longmont, CO, 1999 to 2004. Subsidiary of Precision Castparts, a publicly traded Fortune 500 company. Manufactured complex metal parts using a metal injection molding process. Managed $8M budget and staff of 60 for this $60M subsidiary. Directed accounting and IT as well as purchasing, facilities and a tooling and machining production functions. Led a company wide ERP implementation.
- Reduced inventory levels by 38% by collaborating with manufacturing and sales to reduce manufacturing times and negotiating an agreement with suppliers to hold raw material at company site on consignment.
- Increased EBIT from 3.6% to 20.2% by developing a daily P&L to track expenses, throughput and sales. Led effort to reduce variable costs and material costs resulting in increased margins.
- Conducted detailed weekly executive reviews to monitor financial performance and take corrective action as needed. Trained senior staff on financial metrics, which facilitated improving cash flow and EBIT.
VP Finance, Neoplan USA Corporation, Lamar, CO, 1997 to 1999. Privately owned manufacturer of city transit buses and over-the-road tour coaches. Managed $2M budget and staff of 15 for this $150M bus and coach manufacturing company.
Division Director of FP&A / Site Controller, Symbios Logic Inc., Ft. Collins, CO, 1995 to 1996 (NCR spin-off) Subsidiary of Hyundai Electronics of America. Manufactured semiconductors.
NCR Corporation, 1978 to 1995, Fortune 500, $3B public semiconductor and computer manufacturer.
- Division Director of FP&A/Site Controller, Ft. Collins, CO, 1993 to 1995.
- Plant Controller, Wichita, KS, 1985 to 1993.
- Plant Controller, Miamisburg, OH, 1983 to 1985
- Corporate FP&A Analyst, Dayton, OH, 1981 to 1983
- Plant Financial Analyst, Dayton, OH, 1978 to 1981
BA, Accounting, Anderson University, Anderson, IN.