Mechanical Engineer / Production Designer
• Extensive CAD Background (8+ yrs) • Basic Machinist Experience (4 yrs) • Carpentry Experience (4+ yrs) • Manufacturing Experience (2+ yrs) • A Driven Team Player that Works Well Under Pressure & Strives for Excellence • Communicates Thoughts & Ideas Well •Eager to Learn & Improve
• AutoCAD: 2D & 3D Certified (4 yrs) • Solidworks (4 yrs) • Unigraphics (2+ yrs) • Ansys (Basic experience for Thermal FEA’s) • Baan 4 • Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) • Basic HTML & Visual Basic Knowledge • Teamcenter • Basic GD&T Knowledge
PRODUCTION DESIGNER – HUSKY INJECTION MOLDING SYSTEMS (1001-5000 employees globally, $1.2Billion in sales), Milton, VT – July 2010 to May 2013
Husky I.M.S. is the world’s largest brand name supplier of injection molding equipment and services to the plastics industry. The company has over 40 service and sales offices, supporting customers in more than 100 countries. Personally responsible for design & engineering of entry, Jr., & Sr. level hot runner systems with tight deadlines & specific customer requirements & features.
- Brought on to develop a process to flex drafting from production designers to a dedicated drafter with the goal of reducing overall cycle times during design.
- Hired full time as a designer after completion of the flex drafting project.
- Was first in my design class to begin working on Sr. level systems & have continued to strive for higher quality & higher efficiency, have currently completed around 31 systems, 16 of which were Sr. level.
- Delivered FEA training to the class of 5 that I was hired with.
- Delivered training to a class of 6 new Vermont designers & trained them how to design with minimal automation support. The goal was to build a strong foundation for their design practices & have continued to mentor them as they progress.
- Moved to Chennai, India for 3 months to help startup a new engineering & production facility. Trained a team of 10 designers in key design principals & mentored 15 other designers ensuring that new trainees were meeting expectations & provided feedback to the Global Design Manager.
- Support the production & service side of the business by fixing or implementing customer changes & creating new parts for service issues on old systems.
- Improved standards & processes for design. Key accomplishments included: Improving the way FEAs were completed & organized; Standardizing components & tools for Sr. level systems; Beta testing new tools & processes & providing feedback.
CARPENTER– ADDITION GROUP (2-5 employees), Burlington, VT – May 2009 to September 2009
Addition Group is a home remodeling company that does projects ranging from bathroom remodels to large scale home renovations like removing and replacing load bearing walls. Personally responsible for assisting the owner in the completion of various home remodeling projects.
- Started doing simple tasked & strived to show the owner what I was capable of & gradually started to take on more responsibility as he began to trust my craftsmanship.
- Some larger projects included removing & replacing a large section of an exterior load bearing wall & adding an extension onto an existing roof.
- Some smaller projects included interior painting and trim work.
AUTOCAD DESIGNER/CARPENTER– LaCOUR INC. (11-58 employees, $5M in sales), Fairfield, NJ – June 2004 to September 2008
LaCour Inc. is a specialty furnishing company that has a large focus on desk solutions for traders who need large multi monitor setups to analyze the constant feed of data from the market. As a designer I was Responsible for creating production & customer drawings & models based on rough ideas & sketches from the owner & plant manager. As a carpenter’s assistant I was responsible for assisting in the production & manufacturing of the desks, frames, and various other units.
- Starting working in the shop as summer job in high school doing very basic tasks & gradually gained more & more responsibility until I was proficient on the various tools in the shop, including various table saws, routers, hand tools, and would also help in the finishing department when things got busy.
- During my summer between Jr. & Sr. year of high school I took night classes to learn basic & advanced AutoCAD so I could work in the CAD department. During that time I would worked 6hrs in the shop & work 2hrs in the CAD department to get some extra practice & started learning how to design. When I returned to school Sr. year my teacher was asking me how to do things in my engineering class in AutoCAD.
- Continued to work here through most of college & occasionally worked remotely from Vermont when they needed help.
EDUCATION & OTHER EXPERIENCES
- UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT: Bachelors of Mechanical Engineering with a Math Minor in 2010.
- UVM Mini Baja Team: Member for 2 years, President for 2 years (Mini Baja is part of the SAE Collegiate Design Series).
- US F.I.R.S.T. Robotics: Mechanical Team Leader for 2 years, Part of the founding group for team 1676 (FIRST is an international High School Robotics Competition).